Gait and Concussions.
The big movie trailer just came out yesterday, click on the link above to watch the trailer for “Concussion” with Will Smith, slated for theater release in December 2015. Hopefully this will raise even more awareness to TBI (traumatic brain injury), and remember, minimal TBI falls into these categories and discussions.
Here is just a small sampling of some of the complications of concussions on human gait. Head injuries are no joke, their effects on dynamic motor control and sensory-motor integration are potentially serious issues. From the first 4 references that came up on the pubmed search this is what was mentioned:
– “the ability to control and maintain stability in the frontal plane during walking is diminished under divided attention” (1)
– “Adolescents with concussion displayed increased center-of-mass medial/lateral displacement and velocity during dual-task walking after RTA (return to activity), suggesting a regression of recovery in gait balance control. This study reinforces the need for a multifaceted approach to concussion management and continued monitoring beyond the point of clinical recovery.” (2)
– “concussion may have long-term observable and measurable effects on the control of gait stability”(3)
– “persons with a history of concussion adopt a more conservative gait strategy”.(4)
Do you see something strange on your client’s gait analysis ? Have you asked them about previous concussions and head injuries? Perhaps you should. Take mTBI seriously, this is not a trivial matter.
Dr. Shawn Allen, one of the gait guys
1. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2005 May;20(4):389-95. Epub 2005 Jan 28.The effect of divided attention on gait stability following concussion.Parker TM1, Osternig LR, Lee HJ, Donkelaar Pv, Chou LS.
2. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2015 Apr;47(4):673-80. doi: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000000462.Return to activity after concussion affects dual-task gait balance control recovery.Howell DR1, Osternig LR, Chou LS.
3.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 Jun;38(6):1032-40.Gait stability following concussion.Parker TM1, Osternig LR, VAN Donkelaar P, Chou LS.
4. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2011 Apr;92(4):585-9. doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2010.11.029.The chronic effects of concussion on gait.Martini DN1, Sabin MJ, DePesa SA, Leal EW, Negrete TN, Sosnoff JJ, Broglio SP.
Will Smith’s new movie “Concussion” terrifies the NFL. Here’s the trailer.